Friday, August 26, 2011

AM I A TREEHUGGER?

My new neighbor and I were working on his rainwater drainage system that the previous owner had neglected and allowed to clog. To my surprise the underground drains ran from the house to the bulkhead of his waterfront home and into the bay. I immediately reminded him that some folks might take a dim view of his rainwater disposal methods (meaning me of course).


The next thing that came out of his mouth was eye opening. He said “who the tree huggers?” I almost fell backwards and thought to myself, am I a tree hugger? This can’t be true. No way, I just like renewable energy, and breathing clean air and the trees and the birds and wait, did I say trees? Oh my god, I am a tree hugger.

So the next thing that he asked was “are you a tree hugger?” So I replied without much excuse, “Yes I guess I am”. After a few laughs we began a friendly discussion about the same drainage system that prompted this revelation. He asked “why is it so important to have a rain barrel or a way to filter the water?” He felt the water from the roof was clean enough. What he did not know was that rainwater not only needed to be clean, but it had to be cooled and slowed before it entered the bay and its tributaries. That’s when he almost fell backwards and said “is that why? I never knew that”

It turns out that he loves the trees too and has a cabin in the woods and likes to ride four wheelers, etc. So we talked about electric vehicles and how much more enjoyable it would be for him and his young kids if they could ride four wheelers that did not pollute with sound and smoke and oil. Then he said something that made us both laugh “I guess deep down inside I am a tree hugger too.”

My point here is that most people in our country do not have any objections to clean renewable energy and to environmentally friendly water systems, etc. It would help them to understand why some of us are fighting for these new systems. When I take the time to explain to people that I too like to drive fast cars and ride four wheelers and water ski and all the stuff that they like to do, then they begin to understand that the only thing I despise is dirty and unsustainable energy. As a matter of fact most people, if not all, disagree with the consequences of choosing dirty energy.

So next time someone calls me a tree hugger I may just have to say, thank you.

By George Lopez

One of the most amazing aspects of WaterShed is that the beautiful structure soon to be on display on the National Mall

once resided simply on a piece of paper; an idea sprung from the collective creativity and ingenuity of a handful of students. One of those students is Lynn Khuu.


The Most Important Natural Gas Story in a Decade

Wyatt Investment Research

Well, the Department of Energy answered that question, saying that they will defer to the USGS. Now, keep in mind, the DOE is a cabinet department of the Executive Branch. The USGS is an offshoot of the Department of the Interior - another cabinet ...
 
EPA meets with Pa. residents over drilling fears

Wilkes Barre Times-Leader

15, 2010 file photo, water plant operator Torrey Jones checks the clarity of a sample of treated water at the Beaver Falls Municipal Authority water treatment plant in Beaver Falls, Pa. A US Department of Energy panel wants energy companies to reveal ...
 
19 Easton traffic lights to get LED bulbs

The Star Democrat

Terry Daly, Loan Program Manager from the Maryland Clean Energy Center, ... by the US Department of Energy through the Maryland Energy Administration. ...
 
GM, LG to Co-Develop Electric Cars

Wall Street Journal

By SHARON TERLEP General Motors Co. and South Korea's LG Group on Thursday disclosed an agreement to jointly develop electric vehicles, a goal increasingly important to auto makers as they work to meet stricter US fuel economy regulations. ...
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment